Persistent Bears Get Late Equalizer, Drop Overtime Match at Tulsa
Cassie Le played 100 minutes of the match, her second career start.
Cassie Le played 100 minutes of the match, her second career start.

Aug. 31, 2012

Box Score

TULSA, Okla. - The Missouri State women's soccer team (2-4-0) battled Tulsa (3-1-0) into the second overtime before dropping a 2-1 decision on the road Friday night. The Bears kept the match tight throughout despite being outshot, 32 to five in the 102 minutes of play.

"We found a way to stay in the game," stated head coach Rob Brewer following the match. "The team didn't give in and we were able to take advantage of an opportunity to tie the game late."

The Bears fell behind early in the match. Tulsa got a goal in the seventh minute as Stephanie Aitken clanked the ball in off the post to put UT up, 1-0.

Missouri State nearly drew even in the 15th minute though. Molly Brewer registered the Bears' first shot of the match, but it rattled off the post and back out. However, despite being outshot 12 to one in the first half, MSU faced just a single goal deficit at the intermission.

The Bears defense continued to keep MSU in the match in the second half. Tulsa racked up the first seven shots of the second half, but were unable to increase the lead.

Rachel Weimer recorded the Bears' first shot of the second half in the 59th minute, forcing the UT keeper to make her first save. Missouri State followed with consecutive corners and Erin Stewart tallied the Bears' second shot on net in less than a minute.

After the brief offensive flurry by MSU, the Golden Hurricane rattled off five additional shots. But the complexion of the match changed in the 81st minute. Shelby Stewart capitalized on a misplayed ball by the UT goalkeeper to tally the equalizer with less than 10 minutes remaining in regulation.

Tulsa outshot the Bears, seven to one, for the remainder of regulation and the teams headed to overtime knotted at 1-1. Neither team mustered any offense in the first session and the teams went to a second overtime session.



Just over a minute into the second overtime, Tulsa would finally get its second goal of the match, the game winner. MSU keeper Chelsea Voet made a career-high nine saves in the match to keep the Bears in it until the end.

Despite registering just five shots in the match, the Bears were accurate with the shots they took. Four shots were on net, with the fifth hitting the post.

Missouri State will conclude the weekend in Tulsa against Oral Roberts on Sunday (Sept. 2) at 1:00 p.m. The Bears will wrap up the road trip with a match at Kansas (Sept. 7) before MSU returns to Plaster Field for a three-game home stand beginning on September 9 with a 1:00 p.m. match against SIU Edwardsville.


Official Store

    Watch Video