MSU Field Hockey Set to Challenge No. 15 Hawkeyes, Ohio This Week
Oct. 6, 2013
Missouri State Bears (2-8) vs. No. 15 Iowa Hawkeyes (5-5)
Date: Monday, Oct. 7, 2013
Start Time: 3 p.m.
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Site: Dr. Christine H.B Grant Field (1,000)
Missouri State Bears (2-8, 0-1 MAC) vs. Ohio Bobcats (3-6, 0-0 MAC)
Date: Friday, Oct. 11
Start Time: 11 a.m.
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Site: Plaster Sports Complex (16,300)
Social Media: Instagram | Twitter
• The Bears are 5-27-1 all-time against No. 15 Iowa, and lost a scrimmage match to the Hawkeyes by a score of 4-2 earlier this season. MSU is 9-23-1 versus Ohio, and lost 5-1 to the Bobcats a year ago in Athens, Ohio.
• With her goal in MSU’s 5-2 loss at Kent State on Friday, Bears senior Hillary Lawless (St. Louis, Mo.) moved to within one point of tying Jo-Anne Morgenroth for fifth place on the Missouri State all-time points list. Morgenroth tallied 69 points for the Bears from 1991-1994.
• The Hawkeyes overwhelmed the Missouri State defense in 2012 with a 10-0 win in Iowa City. Iowa ranks as the 18th-best goal-scoring team in the country at 2.89 scores per game, but will face a Bears defense that continues to show marked improvement over last year’s freshman-laden squad. MSU has allowed just 31 goals in their 10 contests so far in 2013, a 29 percent improvement over their first 10 games a season ago.
• Iowa sophomore Natalie Cafone will present a challenge for the MSU defense, as the forward ranks second in the Big 10 in points (22) and is tied for first in goals (10).
• The Bears will have to try to slow down Ohio's one-two punch of Luli Gomez Teruel and Jessica Jue. The two Bobcats have scored nine of their team's 13 goals this season, and accounted for 21 of Ohio's 33 points.
The Last Meeting
September 2, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
Field Hockey Bears Grounded by Hawkeyes
The Missouri State field hockey team suffered their worst loss in 15 years on Sunday, as the 12th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes defeated the Bears (0-3) by a 10-0 score before 198 fans in Iowa City, Iowa.
The Last Meeting
October 13, 2012
Field Hockey Bears Fall to Ohio, 5-1
Missouri State senior defender Reiann Stoute recorded a goal and placed three shots on goal, but the Missouri State field hockey team (4-9 overall, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) lost a 5-1 decision to the Ohio Bobcats on Saturday afternoon in Athens, Ohio.