Oct. 26, 2011
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Missouri State men’s soccer team (6-6-2, 3-0-0 MVC) will play host to SIU-Edwardsville on Senior Night with the “Living Our Legacy” game on Sunday, Oct. 30 at 6 p.m. It will mark the third consecutive year that the marquee event will wrap up the Bears’ home schedule.
The “Living Our Legacy” game, presented by Verizon Wireless, is a joint venture between the Missouri State athletics department, the Missouri State entertainment management program and an MSU student organization created to stage the annual event. This year’s theme for the game is “Soccer Salutes Service,” honoring the efforts of law enforcement, firefighters and EMT/first responders/medical/rescue personnel.
“By intersecting athletics with academics, student involvement and community outreach, this game represents a living example of what Missouri State University’s public affairs mission is all about,” said head coach Jon Leamy.
Limited Skybox Packages Available
● Three skybox packages are still available ($350, $700, $1,000).
● All packages include pizza, snacks, beverages, a gift from the Missouri State men’s soccer team, additional non-skybox tickets and a climate-controlled atmosphere.
● To purchase a skybox package, contact head coach Jon Leamy by phone (417.836.5243) or by email.
● Admission is FREE for all service and military personnel with valid ID, children, high school students and Missouri State students.
● Admission for Missouri State faculty is $3. Admission for adults is $5.
“Living Our Legacy” Activities and Events
● Pre-game recognition of Missouri State's five seniors: Gerard Barbero III, David Buckenheimer, Jordan Hoffman, Heath Melugin and Thomas Vania.
● A free, fun zone with interactive exhibits for families and children – opens at 4 p.m.
● A pre-game march into the stadium for Missouri State students – 4:30 p.m.
● Pre-game and halftime ceremonies that will honor service personnel and feature Springfield-area youth soccer teams.
“Living Our Legacy” Signs Three-Year Sponsorship
● For the second straight year, Verizon Wireless is the proud sponsor of the “Living Our Legacy” game.
● For this year’s “Living Our Legacy” game, Verizon is sponsoring free t-shirts to the first 400 fans in attendance. The shirts feature the “Living Our Legacy” and Verizon logo.
● Verizon Wireless has agreed to a three-year deal as the presenting sponsor.
“Living Our Legacy” Partners with New Code 3 Sertoma Club
● A portion of this year’s proceeds will be donated to the Code 3 Sertoma Club.
● The brand new Code 3 Sertoma Club chapter of Springfield serves in fundraising efforts and volunteerism to support local public safety/service personnel in need.
“Living Our Legacy” History
● In 2009, food for nearly 800 meals was donated to Ozarks Food Harvest. The 2009 event generated the fourth-largest crowd in program history (1,075).
● In 2010, more than $1,200 was donated to Ozarks Honor Flight, which was almost enough to send two World War II veterans to Washington, D.C., to visit the WWII Memorial.
● The 2010 event produced the second-largest crowd with 2,027 fans and was just 76 from the top attendance record set in 2006 against Creighton University.
For more information on the Missouri State “Living Our Legacy” game, click here.