The Bears look to rebound from their conference-opening loss as they host the Purple Aces Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Oct. 9, 2012
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Missouri State men’s soccer team (5-3-3, 0-1-0) will clash with MVC opponent Evansville (6-4-0) to end its three-game homestand on Wednesday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. CST at Plaster Field.
Following their tilt with the Purple Aces, the Bears will play four consecutive games on the road, a stretch that includes stops at SIU Edwardsville, Central Arkansas, No. 17 SMU and No. 24 Creighton. Missouri State will conclude the regular season at home with the fourth annual Living Our Legacy game. The Bears will host the Drake Bulldogs on Friday, November 2, at 7 p.m.
- Missouri State has won three consecutive matches against Evansville.
- In last year’s meeting, the Bears traveled to Evansville, Ind. and despite a scoreless first half, the MSU offense produced a trio of second-half goals to blank the Purple Aces, 3-0. Jarred Clark scored a pair of goals less than 10 minutes apart and Cole Alexander put the nail in the coffin with a breakaway goal in the 82nd minute.
- The Bears have come away victorious in six of the last seven meetings. In 2009 MVC Tournament semifinals, the Purple Aces upset No. 1-seed Missouri State in overtime, 2-1. Despite the loss to Evansville, the Bears’ 12-4-2 record was enough to earn an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament.
- Missouri State leads the all-time series with Evansville 13-8-3 and is 6-3-1 when facing the Purple Aces at home.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Riggs needs one more clean slate to move into fifth all-time on the single-season leaders list for shutouts.
- Andrew Riggs ranks sixth in the nation in goals against average (0.508) and 12th in save percentage (0.85). Likewise, the Missouri State defense is nationally ranked in team goals against average (6th), shutout percentage (11th) and save percentage (14th).
- Evansville forward Faik Hajderovic leads the MVC in points (13) and assists (5). He has also recorded four goals on the season.
- The Purple Aces have faced four non-conference opponents (Lipscomb, Belmont, Oral Roberts, Eastern Illinois) that appeared on the first half of the Missouri State schedule. Evansville was a perfect 4-0 versus the similar opponents, while the Bears were 3-0-1 with their double-overtime draw against Belmont (Aug. 24).
The Last Meeting
October 15, 2011