No. 19 SMU Stages Comeback, Bears Settle for 1-1 Draw
Sophomore Parker Maher notched his first career goal in the 15th minute of action.
Sophomore Parker Maher notched his first career goal in the 15th minute of action.

Oct. 21, 2012

Box Score

DALLAS - Missouri State men's soccer (5-6-4, 0-4 MVC) snapped its four-game losing skid with a 1-1 double overtime draw at No. 19 SMU (9-3-3, 5-1 C-USA) on Sunday (Oct. 21). The Bears took control of the game early and held off the ranked squad until the closing minutes of regulation. It was SMU's leading scorer Tyler Engel, who dashed the Bears' hopes of an upset in the 88th minute of play.

To get the ball rolling, Missouri State sophomore Parker Maher found a hole in the Mustangs' defense and took a stab at the opening. The midfielder from Joplin, Mo. reaped the benefits as he penetrated up the middle of the field and took a shot from 30 yards out. The Bears' first shot of evening was on the mark as Maher whistled one past SMU goalie Jamie Ibarra to score his first career goal in a Missouri State uniform.

With less than five minutes remaining in the half, the Mustangs changed up their strategy and moved the ball aggressively up field. Looking to even things up before the break, SMU recorded back-to-back-to-back corner kicks, but the Bears' back line denied all three attempts and escaped the first half with the lead, 1-0. It marked the first time all season that SMU had trailed at halftime.

After the first period, the 19th-ranked Mustangs held the shot advantage, 4-3, with two of the four shots on target.

Missouri State continued to play stout defense throughout the second half and was able to limit the legitimate scoring opportunities for SMU for majority of the period. Before scoring the equalizer, the Mustangs rattled off 10 shots, with three on goal.

With a last-ditch effort, the Mustangs assembled its best scoring opportunity with less than three minutes remaining in the contest. Moving the ball down the right side, SMU midfielder Damian Rosales cut inside and crossed the ball to an open Tyler Engel. Shaking two Missouri State defenders, Engel sent the shot into the back of the net from 22 yards out to tie the match at one apiece.

The Bears avoided a heartbreaker in the two overtime periods, adding another three saves to the stat line. In net, Riggs collected a career-high seven saves with two coming in the overtime periods. The defense also collected a team-save in the final overtime period.

SMU quadrupled Missouri State's shot total, outshooting the Bears 20-5. It was the third match in-a-row that the MSU offense was limited to five shots or less.

The Bears will face their second ranked opponent in as many matches when they travel to No. 22 Creighton on Saturday, October 27 at 2 p.m. MSU closes out its regular season at home on Friday, November 2, as it hosts Drake for the Fourth Annual Living Our Legacy game at 7 p.m.



Official Store

    Watch Video