Dartmouth Hands Men's Soccer First Loss of Season
Defender Andrew Turner led Missouri State with two shots.
Defender Andrew Turner led Missouri State with two shots.

Sept. 16, 2012

Box Score

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Missouri State men's soccer team (4-1-3) suffered a setback at UNM Soccer Complex on Sunday (Sept. 16), losing its first match of the season to Dartmouth (3-3-0) in double overtime, 1-0. The Bears were riding a seven-game unbeaten streak into Sunday's match at the TLC Plumbing, Heating & Cooling Lobo Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.

The first 45 minutes proved to be a hard-fought battle between both defenses. Missouri State freshman forward James Thomas, who earned his first career start, had a shot blocked in the 12th minute, but that was it for the Bears in the first period. Dartmouth managed to outshoot MSU 5-1 in the first half, although neither team registered a shot on goal.

The Bears traded shots with the Big Green to get the second period underway. After 63 minutes of play, Dartmouth midfielder Collin Skelly tallied the game's first shot on goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Riggs was there to make the save on Skelly's shot from the top of the box.

Following the save, both teams stepped up the defensive pressure and prevented all shot opportunities for the next 19 minutes. Just before a Dartmouth shot in the 82nd minute, MSU received a costly red card that would cause the Bears to be down a man for the remainder of the contest.

Missouri State gave it one last shot in the final minute of regulation. Downfield for a Bears' corner kick, defender Andrew Turner received a Matt Bray corner kick and sent a header wide right from the close right wing. For the third straight match, the Bears were going to overtime.

During the first overtime period, Missouri State rattled off two shots in the first four minutes, but still could not come up with a shot on goal. The Big Green recorded its second shot on target with an attempt by former MSU recruit Sten Stray-Gundersen. Again, Riggs made the save.

The Bears weren't as lucky in the second overtime period. After the MSU defense blocked a shot from in the box in the 105th minute, the Big Green attack came right back at the Bears one minute later. Colin Heffron took the ball to the touch line, before passing back to Alex Adelabu who scored his fifth goal of the season with a shot to the far post.

In its first-ever meeting with the Ivy-League institution, the MSU men were limited to seven shots and zero shots on target. Dartmouth outshot the Bears, 14-7.

Missouri State will face its second ranked opponent in three matches when No. 24 Xavier welcomes the Bears to Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday (Sept. 22) at 1 p.m. CST. Following the game at Xavier, the Bears will play three consecutive matches at home.

TLC Plumbing, Heating & Cooling Lobo Invitational All-Tournament Team
Alex Adelabu, Dartmouth
Pavle Atanackovic, UC Irvine
Michael Calderon, New Mexico
Noah Coen, Dartmouth
James Fawke, Missouri State
Ben Griffiths, Missouri State
Colin Heffron, Dartmouth
Cameron Iwasa, UC Irvine
Levi Rossi, New Mexico
Devon Sandoval, New Mexico
Kyle Venter, New Mexico

Offensive MVP - Devon Sandoval, New Mexico
Defensive MVP- Kyle Venter, New Mexico



Official Store

    Watch Video