MSU Seeks Third Straight Victory in 1:05 p.m. MVFC Contest at Plaster Field
Oct. 28, 2013
Missouri State Game Notes
Missouri State Bears (3-6, 3-2 MVFC) vs. Indiana State Sycamores (1-7, 0-4 MVFC)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013
Kickoff: 1:05 p.m.
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Site: Plaster Field (16,300)
Series: Missouri State leads 16-11
Radio: KTXR 101.3 FM (Art Hains, Rob Bolks) and MSU Bears Radio Network
Live Stats: GameTracker
Live Video: Bears All-Access
Listen Live: RadioSpringfield.com | MVFC Coaches Teleconference Audio
Tailgating: BearFest Village opens at 10 a.m. in Lot 22, just south of the stadium
Tickets: Game 10 Tickets| Missouri State Students Free
FIRST AND TEN
• The Missouri State Bears (3-6, 3-2 MVFC) return home to Plaster Field Saturday (Nov. 2) for a 1:05 p.m. MVFC contest, in search of their third straight victory against the Indiana State Sycamores (1-7, 0-4 MVFC
• MSU is averaging 36.0 points per game in home conference games this season and will be shooting for its second three-game win streak in as many seasons
• Missouri State ranks second in the MVFC in interceptions (11) and third in total takeaways (18) this season
• With 62 career conference wins, MSU head coach Terry Allen is just two wins shy over overtaking UNI's Mark Farley for the all-time lead in MVFC coaching victories
• MSU will be looking for its first four-win MVFC campaign since 2010, when it posted its second-consecutive 4-4 Valley slate
• Junior safety Caleb Schaffitzel leads the conference with four interceptions and ranks second in total passes defended per game (1.33), trailing only senior cornerback Howard Scarborough (1.62) for the Valley lead
• Scarborough broke up a pair of WIU passes in last Saturday's victory to move up to fourth on the Bears' career chart; with 29 PBUs over his four-year career, he trails Craig Phillips (30), Willie Parks (34) and all-time leader Adrion Smith (37)
• Junior receiver Julian Burton became the second Bear to top the 1,000-yard mark for career receiving this season -- joining senior Dorian Buford -- with 44 yards at WIU last Saturday; Burton also logged a game-high 152 all-purpose yards against the Leathernecks to climb to 15th on the Bears' career chart (2,345 yards)
• Burton ranks fourth in the Valley and 29th nationally in kickoff return average (25.9) after totaling 110 yards on three returns last weekend, including a career-long 56 yarder against the Leathernecks
• Missouri State brings the Valley's No. 2 rush defense in conference play into this Saturday's game after allowing just 94 yards on 34 carries against Western Illinois; the Bears are allowing just 107.8 rushing yards in MVFC play and a mere 104.5 yards on the ground at home this season
ABOUT INDIANA STATE
Indiana State running back Buck Logan has shouldered most of the work load for the Sycamores of late. His 6.2 yards per carry leads the club and helps pace an ISU offense that has averaged 354.1 yards per game, despite its deceiving 1-7 ledger.
Indiana State is coming off a 56-10 home loss to top-ranked North Dakota State. First-year head coach Mike Sanford's club has dropped three of its five road losses by a touchdown or less.
COACH Terry Allen
Missouri State head coach Terry Allenrecorded his 60th career MVFC victory with MSU's 37-10 win over Illinois State on Sept. 28. With a 62-41 record in 16 seasons as a head coach at UNI (1989-96) and Missouri State (2006-present) in league play, Allen trails only current UNI sideline boss Mark Farley (64 wins) in all-time conference victories.
Allen entered the 2013 season 14th in victories among active FCS head coaches and 32nd on the NCAA's all-time FCS victories list. Additionally, Allen sits in third on Missouri State's all-time conference wins list, trailing only Jesse Branch (31 wins) and Rich Johanningmeier (27). Overall, Allen is 126-114 (.525) in his 21st year as a head coach and 31-55 (.360) in his eighth year at Missouri State. The 1979 Northern Iowa graduate is 10-5 vs. Indiana State (3-4 at MSU) and has an 84-40 overall home record (20-21 at MSU) for his coaching career. Allen is a five-time MVFC Coach of the Year and has previous head coaching stints at UNI (1989-96) and Kansas (1997-2001).