Missouri State Bears (1-1) vs. Jacksonville Dolphins (1-2)
November 19, 2012, JQH Arena (11,000), Springfield, Mo.
Missouri State Bears vs. Malone Pioneers (2-0)
November 21, 2012, JQH Arena (11,000), Springfield, Mo.
2012-13 Missouri State GameDay Guide | Tickets | Visitors Guide
The Ten Count
- MSU head coach Paul Lusk is looking to collect career win No. 20 on Monday against Jacksonville.
- MSU’s freshman tandem of Gavin Thurman (Wichita, Kan.) and Marcus Marshall (St. Paul, Minn.) were a combined 0-for-10 from the field and 0-for-6 from 3-point range against San Diego State on Saturday. The pair were 9-for-19 against Philander Smith in the season opener with 35 total points.
- The last time the Bears played an Atlantic Sun Conference team was a 78-55 home win over Kennesaw State (12/17/11).
- MSU 60-44 loss to No. 23 San Diego State was its largest margin of defeat ever at The Q.
- Christian Kirk (Springfield, Mo.) has started 16 of the Bears’ last 19 games.
- MSU freshman Drew Wilson (Tulsa, Okla.) has scored the Bears’ first basket in each of the first two ball games.
- San Diego State’s 52 rebounds in Saturday’s MSU loss marked a new JQH Arena record.
- MSU will continue the Hoops for Hope Classic in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on Saturday (vs. South Carolina) and Sunday (vs. either SMU or UALR).
- MSU senior Anthony Downing, who was the team’s only double-digit scorer (16) against SDSU, was an MVC All-Newcomer selection last year and four-time Newcomer of the Week. He was last week’s Coors Player of the Week.
- Keith Pickens (St. Louis, Mo.) is 18-11 as a starter, the most wins by any current Missouri State player.s.
Head Coach Paul Lusk
Paul Lusk (Southern Illinois, 1995) is 17-17 (.500) in his second season at MSU and 19-40 (.322) in his third season overall as a head coach. He is 8-8 in non-conference play (5-3 at JQH Arena), 9-8 in home games, 8-6 on the road, and 0-3 at neutral sites. He has never coached against Jacksonville or Malone.
Lusk took the reigns as MSU’s 17th head coach on April 1, 2011. He came to Springfield after seven seasons at Purdue (2004-11), including the last three as associate head coach there. Now in his 15th season in the coaching profession, Lusk has previous assistant coaching stops at Southwestern Illinois (1996-97), Missouri Southern (1999-2002) and Southern Illinois (2003-04) in addition to a one-year head coaching stint at (Div. III) Dubuque (2002-03). Lusk has coached in six of the last nine NCAA Division I Tournaments after playing in three as a player at SIU.
He returns five lettermen and six squad members from a 16-16 club that tied for third place in the Missouri Valley standings a year ago. His Bears were picked sixth in last year’s preseason MVC poll, but finished three spots higher, earning him CollegeSportsMadness.com MVC Coach of the Year.
Missouri State has never played Jacksonville or Malone in men's basketball.
Jacksonville (1-2) is coming off a 73-57 road loss to Miami (Fla.) on Friday night in Coral Gables and enters the four-game week with its first-ever trip to Springfield. The Dolphins are led by junior forward Dylan Fritsch who has averaged a team-high 11.0 points per game with 8 of the club’s 15 3-pointers on the season, including 23 points and 6 treys against Miami. Freshman guard Jarvis Haywood is also averaging double figures (10.3), while JU gets 6.3 rebounds per game from senior forward Glenn Powell. JU is averaging 19.0 turnovers per game in three contests and is scoring 65.7 points per night.
The Dolphins play in the Atlantic Sun Conference, Coach Cliff Warren (Mt. St. Mary’s, 1990) returns three starters from an 8-22 club of a year ago.
Malone (2-0) will travel to SMU on Monday in a game officially designated as an exhibition contest. The Division II squad from Canton, Ohio, plays in the GLIAC and returns four starters from a 12-15 team.
Coach Tim Walker (Cedarville, 1999) looks to standout players junior guard Isiah Elliott (19.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg) and junior forward Vince Kazmierczak (13.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg) to carry the load for the visitors who have shot .493 as a team and are averaging 47.5 rebounds per game.